Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Internet addiction

Now that's just embarrassing. In February I ran a special with Amazon for Parallel, free for five days. Now suddenly it's April and I look at my blog...and I still have the announcement of the special up.

The last few months have been weird as far as writing goes. I'm doing a lot of editing, but not much new writing. I sit down to write and aim straight for the internet. Facebook, mostly. After all, I must do social media marketing stuff, right?

Wrong. It's not marketing. It's bumming around with what appears to be an addiction, spending hours at a time just waiting for a response to someone's comment or making my own.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I'm at home, basically alone. I have very little social interaction.

I do find that if I don't have any social time I withdraw even more and it becomes a downward spiral. I just pull back into my little shell and shut out the world.

That's when I start getting depressed. My brain goes into nobody-likes-me mode. Creative time is important, but so is social time--even for a confirmed introvert. Being around people is just exhausting. I don't come home energized, I come home wishing for a nap. Wishing I'd never gone out. But I also need it. Necessary medicine. Now, if I could go dancing, that would be different. I could dance until 2 AM and come home bouncing and energized.

In the time it took me to write this, I've checked FB twice. I'm going to log off now. Nope, three times.

What I need to do is bring the computer that doesn't have internet access into my office, and use that to write. I'd get more done, and my rule about using the internet only before 9:AM would last more than ten minutes.

No, I am not going to go check FB again! NOT, NOT, NOT!

Or so I tell myself.

See you later!

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember the name, but there's an app or website that lets you set a time, and then it won't let you into social media sites until that time's up.

    ReplyDelete